See why traveling to Belize and Guatemala with us should be on your must-do list
1. Snorkel, kayak, stand-up paddleboard, and dive the Belize Barrier Reef Reserve System on the only expedition ship exploring the Mesoamerican Reef. Designated a World Heritage site by UNESCO, this is the largest reef system in the Northern Hemisphere, and one of the three largest barrier reefs in the world.
2. Explore the extensive Mayan ruins of the Petèn region, once the hub of Classic Maya civilization, over three full days. The well-known ruins of Tikal are extensive, and we dedicate a full day and a half to see them, in the company of experts. Explore the little-visited Mayan ruins of Yaxha, the third largest ruin in the Maya world, beautifully situated on a ridge overlooking Yaxha Lake. Sail across a lake to a secluded island and see Topoxte, an ancient Mayan ruin enveloped in rain forest.
3. See dazzling birdlife and monkeys amid a towering forest. The Maya Biosphere Reserve, more than twice the size of Yellowstone National Park, is home to more than 400 species of birds, plus spider monkeys, howler monkeys, and tapirs. Hike the tropical forest amid giant ceiba trees—the sacred tree of the Mayas—to find them with our expert local guides.
4. Discover the Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary, the world’s first jaguar preserve, for an unparalleled insider’s view into the world of this elusive species. Visit with a jaguar researcher and learn about the reserve’s ongoing projects to protect and learn more about this mysterious animal. Plus, enjoy an exciting opportunity to participate in a field excursion to locations where “camera traps,” the preferred tracking method, have been installed. Keep your eyes peeled for tracks of the largest “cat” in the New World.
5. We’re equipped with cool tools for exploration. Our onboard fleet of Zodiacs, single and double kayaks as well as stand-up paddleboards allow us to land in inviting remote locations, and have personal discoveries. Snorkel gear for all guests allows you to explore Belize’s rich reefs on your own. Our video microscope reveals even the tiniest facets of the rich marine world.
6. Access to learning and personal attention. We have the most knowledgeable and experienced naturalists in the region. Some are local experts; and all are genuinely passionate about sharing their expertise. And our generous naturalist-to guest-ratio of about 1:10, means our staff is always accessible—on deck, during activities, cocktails and meals. You’ll have opportunities to gravitate naturally to the staff members whose interests best match yours.
7. See the Belize Barrier Reef undersea revealed. We are the only expedition company in the region that travels with an onboard undersea specialist, diving and shooting with high intensity lights and an HD video camera. You’ll view this fascinating footage on plasma screens in the comfort of the lounge—for a richer knowledge of Belize.
8. Go home a better, more confident photographer. A certified photo instructor is aboard every departure. A specially trained naturalist, your photo instructor will provide assistance with your camera and instruction in elements of composition to help you take advantage of countless photo ops—and take your best photos ever. Plus, travel with a National Geographic photographer on select departures.
9. Wellness Program onboard. Our wellness specialist leads a daily stretch and yoga class from the sun deck, with unbeatable views of the surrounding sea and landscapes. A variety of spa treatments and massages are also available.
10. Exclusive Video Chronicle of your expedition. Your Chronicle captures the pinnacle expedition moments. Professionally shot in HD and edited during the voyage, it’s available for purchase by the time you disembark.
Join us for updates, insider reports & special offers.